In 1851, on the banks of Brushy Creek, a little area was developed near a large, rounded rock situated in the center of the creek. This rounded rock marked a practical low-water crossing for wagons, equines as well as cattle. The first postmaster called the community Brushy Creek, yet in 1854 the little negotiation was renamed Round Rock in honour of this now well-known rock. The “round rock” lies near Chisholm Path Street in the middle of Brushy Creek. After the Civil Battle, Jesse Chisholm started to relocate livestock from South Texas via Round Rock, heading to Abilene, Kansas. The course he established, which crossed Brushy Creek at the rounded rock, came to be referred to as the Chisholm Trail. The majority of the old buildings, including the old Saint Charles Resort, are still there today. This historic location is currently called “Old Community.”
Midtown Round Rock is the website of the gunfight as well as succeeding capture (after that fatality) of the nineteenth-century American train robber, Sam Bass, by A.W. Grimes of the Texas Ranger Department on July 19, 1878. The occasion is understood locally as the “Sam Bass Shootout.” Bass is hidden in Round Rock Cemetery located northwest of “Old Town” on Sam Bass Roadway.
Texas sculptor Jim Thomas was appointed by the city of Round Rock, Texas, to develop a 1.5 scale 22-figure bronze sculptural composition showing life along the Chisholm Trail in the late 1800s. After the Civil War, the major source of income for Texans was livestock. Route motorists, such as Jesse Chisholm, led their cattle to market in Abilene, Kansas, to be sold for high prices to the eastern markets. The Chisholm Path was made use of from 1867 to 1884 and ran from Kansas southern to the Rio Grande. The path gone through Round Rock, Texas, at a specific place at Brushy Creek, noted by the round limestone rock for which the city is named. It was a good going across point for hundreds of livestock. It is this area, the Crossing, that the commemorative park lies.