In 1851, on the banks of Brushy Creek, a tiny area was formed near a big, round rock located in the middle of the creek. This round rock noted a convenient low-water going across for wagons, horses and livestock. The initial postmaster called the area Brushy Creek, yet in 1854 the little settlement was relabelled Round Rock in honour of this currently popular rock. The “round rock” lies near Chisholm Route Street in the center of Brushy Creek. After the Civil War, Jesse Chisholm began to relocate livestock from South TX through Round Rock, en route to Abilene, Kansas. The route he developed, which crossed Brushy Creek at the rounded rock, came to be called the Chisholm Route. A lot of the old structures, consisting of the old Saint Charles Resort, are still there today. This historical location is currently called “Old Community.”
Downtown Round Rock is the site of the gunfight and also succeeding capture (then death) of the nineteenth-century American train robber, Sam Bass, by A.W. Grimes of the Texas Ranger Division on July 19, 1878. The event is recognized in your area as the “Sam Bass Shootout.” Bass is hidden in Round Rock Burial ground located northwest of “Old Town” on Sam Bass Roadway.
TX artist Jim Thomas was commissioned by the city of Round Rock, TX, to create a 1.5 range 22-figure bronze sculptural make-up depicting life along the Chisholm Trail in the late 1800s. After the Civil War, the significant income for Texans was cattle. Path motorists, such as Jesse Chisholm, led their livestock to market in Abilene, Kansas, to be cost high costs to the eastern markets. The Chisholm Path was utilized from 1867 to 1884 and ran from Kansas southern to the Rio Grande. The route passed through Round Rock, TX, at a specific spot at Brushy Creek, noted by the round limestone rock for which the city is called. It was a good going across point for countless livestock. It is this place, the Crossing, that the commemorative park lies.