If you’re a background aficionado, checking out numerous archaeological sites is a fun means to invest a weekend break afternoon. Round Rock has an abundance of historical markers within the city, below are 5 that deserve checking out:
Double File Path, Palm Valley Boulevard- This trail was developed by the Delaware Indians moving from eastern Texas to Nuevo Laredo, Mexico. The very first settlement in Williamson County was built at the Brushy Creek going across in 1838. Throughout the years it served as an important means station as well as setting up point. The route was dubbed “Double Documents Trail” since 2 horsemen could ride side-by-side.
Old Broom Factory Structure, Mays Road at Main Street-Built in 1876, this Victorian-style sedimentary rock structure once housed Round Rock Mop Firm. The Broom Business flourished throughout the prosperous railway era, and among the company’s brooms took house a gold medal from the St. Louis Globe’s Fair in 1904. The building was likewise used as a general store, furniture store, college, skating rink as well as car repair shop.
Sam Bass’ Fatality Website, West Main Road at Round Rock Avenue- Undoubtedly, Sam Bass is among the extra colorful characters in Texas background. He was an uneducated orphan from Indiana that wandered to Texas as a youth. He located fame (or infamy) by competing his equine, gambling, as well as robbing trains. He frequently bathed gold on those that harbored him while he was ranging from the regulation. In 1878, he came to Round Rock to burglarize a bank, however was fired by Texas Rangers. Also while dying he rejected to name his guilty partners, becoming rather of a hero. He’s hidden in the old Round Rock Cemetery.
The Round Rock, Chisolm Route at Brushy Creek- Probably the most vital archaeological site in Round Rock, from where the city takes its name. The table-shaped stone once marked an important low-water going across for Indians and early inhabitants. You can still see the wheel ruts in the creek bottom. Numerous leader homes were developed from stones drawn from the rocky creek bed.
William M. Owen House Complicated, 8 Chisolm Route Road- The one-story rock building constructed on this website in 1853 housed a mercantile store as well as Round Rock’s initial long-term article workplace. Both were operated by Thomas C. Oatts. Located on the leader roadway from Austin to Georgetown, the website figured prominently in the early growth of the town. A two-story residence was developed around 1870 as well as was the house of Dr. William M. Owen, a physician and businessman. Both structures are fantastic examples of the design in the location in the 19th century.