1. The Court Houses of Hays Region- When Hays County originated in 1848, its one public structure was a log church-schoolhouse that had to work as the court house, along with its other usages. Although the San Marcos townsite, platted in 1851, consisted of a court square contributed to the area, the forfeit of a $2,000.00 criminal bond later provided the county funds for structure, and also in 1861 officials employed professional C. F. Millett to set up on the Square a 36 x 40-foot, 2-story framework court house with a hearing room, court areas, as well as 4 workplaces. That ache constructing burned in 1868, and region officials ran from rented quarters till a court house of soft, locally quarried sedimentary rock was finished in 1871. Damaged by earth shiftings, that 2-story, 45 x 53-foot structure was torn down (1881) and changed by a 50 x 60-foot, 2-story building of tougher sedimentary rock designed by F. E. Ruffini, designer for College of Texas structures and for courthouses in numerous various other regions. Afterwards 1882-83 structure shed its top tale in a fire on Feb. 28, 1908, it also was razed.
2. HAYS REGION JAILS- The wearing away jail sits behind the 1873 prison and also is surrounded by a fencing and disordered trees. Courthouse posters are being cost the court house to help raise cash for its repair.
3. Aquarena Springs – Aquarena Springs is mainly the resource of the San Marcos River, increasing from thousands of cracks under Spring Lake. A Spanish goal was developed on the site, as well as later on came to be the homestead of General Burleson and Eli Merriman. For years, Aquarena Springs was a hotel as well as enjoyment park with watercraft rides as well as attributes such as mermaids. The ‘Aquamaids’ would put on oxygen containers to consume pickles and consume alcohol Dr. Pepper undersea. Attracted by the breathtaking charm of the area, A.B. Rogers began the park in 1926 and also created it into a prominent visitor destination. The park had a huge resort, a Swiss skies trip, glass- bottom watercraft rides, and a submarine cinema with mermaid entertainers. By far the most preferred destination was Ralph, the Swimming Pig. Ralph swam around Aquarena Springs executing methods and dives up until the very early 1990s when he retired.
4. The Former Municipal Government and also Station House: (c. 1915) One fifty percent block north of the square. Spanish Rebirth building common of the duration when fire stations shared area with various other community services. Shiner and also Hallettsville have comparable buildings.
5. Southwest Texas State College: Founded in 1899 – opened in 1903 – as Southwest Texas Typical Institution. On capital North as well as East of the square on the 11 acres initially deeded for it.
6. Wittliff Gallery of Southwestern & Mexican Photography as well as Southwestern Writers Collection – Albert B. Alkek Collection, Southwest Texas State University, 512-245-2313.
7. Wonder Globe – Earthquake-formed cave. 512-392-3760. Admissions.