1. The Court Houses of Hays Region- When Hays Area originated in 1848, its one public building was a log church-schoolhouse that had to work as the court house, in addition to its various other uses. Although the San Marcos townsite, platted in 1851, contained a court square donated to the area, the forfeit of a $2,000.00 criminal bond later on gave the region funds for structure, as well as in 1861 authorities utilized professional C. F. Millett to put up on the Square a 36 x 40-foot, 2-story structure court house with a hearing space, court rooms, as well as 4 workplaces. That pine constructing shed in 1868, and also area officials ran from rented out quarters up until a court house of soft, locally quarried limestone was finished in 1871. Harmed by planet shiftings, that 2-story, 45 x 53-foot structure was torn down (1881) as well as changed by a 50 x 60-foot, 2-story building of more difficult sedimentary rock designed by F. E. Ruffini, engineer for College of Texas structures as well as for court houses in numerous other regions. Afterwards 1882-83 structure shed its top tale in a fire on Feb. 28, 1908, it also was torn down.
2. HAYS AREA JAILS- The degrading jail rests behind the 1873 jail and also is surrounded by a fencing as well as disordered trees. Court house posters are being sold at the court house to assist elevate loan for its remediation.
3. Aquarena Springs – Aquarena Springs is primarily the resource of the San Marcos River, increasing from numerous cracks under Spring Lake. A Spanish objective was developed on the site, as well as later ended up being the homestead of General Burleson and also Eli Merriman. For several years, Aquarena Springs was a hotel and entertainment park with watercraft flights and also attributes such as mermaids. The ‘Aquamaids’ would use oxygen storage tanks to consume pickles and also consume alcohol Dr. Pepper undersea. Brought in by the scenic beauty of the location, A.B. Rogers started the park in 1926 as well as created it into a popular visitor destination. The park had a big hotel, a Swiss skies trip, glass- lower watercraft flights, as well as a submarine cinema with mermaid performers. By far one of the most prominent attraction was Ralph, the Swimming Pig. Ralph swam around Aquarena Springs carrying out tricks and dives until the very early 1990s when he retired.
4. The Former City Hall and also Station House: (c. 1915) One fifty percent block north of the square. Spanish Rebirth building common of the period when station house shared area with various other community services. Black eye and Hallettsville have similar buildings.
5. Southwest Texas State College: Established In 1899 – opened in 1903 – as Southwest Texas Regular College. On the hill North and also East of the square on the 11 acres initially deeded for it.
6. Wittliff Gallery of Southwestern & Mexican Photography and Southwestern Writers Collection – Albert B. Alkek Collection, Southwest Texas State College, 512-245-2313.
7. Wonder World – Earthquake-formed cavern. 512-392-3760. Admissions.